Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Hoi An

Hot mug of coffee in hand after a filling breakfast, compliments of the luxury hotel we are residing in for $25/night. Middle-aged French people waddle around the pool and ramble in loud voices at tables consuming black coffee with baguettes and croissants. Am I still in Vietnam? Who cares! It is a welcome change and retreat from the cool misty North where the people never smiled as they yell "You come buy something" with a cold stone-faced stare. We are in Hoi An, a city that has survived through many wars with architecture and infrastructure intact that date back more than 400 years. It has bee a pleasant city to wander through, especially in the evening when the streets awaken to live local performances all aglow in various shades and colours of oriental lanterns strung in rows between trees, buildings and over bridges. A large dragon, fish and phoenix dance in reflecting light cast on the rivers surface as we gawk in wonder from the waters edge. Vietnam is starting to grow on me and I have found many reasons to enjoy my travels through the country. The further south we move, the friendlier the people become as does the weather.

Yesterday, as I made my way to an empty beach on rented bicycle the Sun broke through the clouds. With a stroll up the beach alongside the crashing waves on soft wet sand I located a premium spot in which I could practice yoga postures in isolation. Saluting the Sun in the humid morning air and welcoming its rays upon my face, forgetting that the malaria medication has light sensitivity as a side effect, I took refuge in the warmth of its glow. Alternating between headstands in the sand and body surfing on the crashing waves for two hours I decided it was time to head back. By 2pm, now back at the hotel, a familiar stinging sensation was making its presence known over the surface of my body. A brilliant lobster red had taken over the normal slightly tanned pink tones of my skin. What a rookie backpacker mistake I think to myself throughout the night as I carefully roll under cotton sheets trying to find a comfortable position to sleep.

Jev

I have nothing more to add about Hoi An than Jevin has already written, so I'll just post some pictures to show just how lovely this town is.

David

River at the tourist front of Hoi An Town

Across the river

Jevin, drawn like a moth to the flame

Our time in Hoi An consisted mostly of drinking coffee and eating desserts like these.

The culprit beach of Jevin's sunburn tale.  Those round things are fishing boats.

One of the old buildings in old Hoi An

Isn't she lovely?

Lunch at our most frequented restaurant, the Cargo Club.  It is where we had those pretty desserts, stuffed sea bass, Camembert Salad and so much more. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh no!!! Ask those grumpy Vietnamese people for a home remedy!... Or the fat French people for some butter to rub on it!... Just kidding... I heard that people who travel to South-East-Asia get orange tans. Take care lobster boy! :)
    - Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's more of a lobster purple than a lobster red.

    ReplyDelete